This tour includes stops at four iconic Melbourne institutions. The order of the venues may change, but you will visit and have the opportunity to try concoctions from the following pit stops:
- A classic Aussie pub. Throw back a pot or a pint, as here’s where you’ll learn about the standard pour sizes of Victorian beers and how beer nearly led to all alcohol being banned during the gold rush.
- A cocktail bar. Melbourne has some of the best mixologists around, but most of them are hidden in tiny, hidden cocktail bars that survive on word of mouth alone. Visit a speakeasy-style bar and learn about how and why Melbourne’s laneway scene developed.
- A wine bar. With the Yarra Valley just a stone’s throw away, it would be a sin not to taste some of the delectable wines in the region. Learn how wine shaped Australia’s history and how to taste wine like a member of the social elite.
- A surprise! Melbourne’s bar scene is ever-changing, so the fourth bar will be chosen by your guide on the day, depending on the group’s desires, the weather, and what is trendy in Melbourne at that particular moment in time.
If you’re still thirsty by the end of the tour, don’t forget to ask your local guide for some more recommendations, so you won’t have to worry about a dry mouth for the rest of your stay in Melbourne.
Booze Makes History Better Highlights
- Learn about Melbourne’s history with a drink in-hand
- Try local beers, wines, and cocktails at four unique Melbourne establishments
- Explore the Paris End of Collins Street, home to some of the ritziest shops in the Victorian capital
- Discover hidden bars known only to local Melburnians