Foodie’s Eco-Tour of the Markets
Get a guided tour of the markets as you shop for a picnic taking place in one of Melbourne's urban gardens
Half of the proceeds from this tour go to the Port Phillip Eco Centre
- Tour the markets and meet farmers using sustainable growing methods to develop their products
- Get a guided shopping experience as you hunt for the perfect picnic…
- …to consume inside one of Melbourne’s urban gardens
- Contribute to keeping the river clean — a portion of proceeds go to the Port Phillip Eco Centre, who help keep the Yarra clean
- Sample locally-sourced foods fresh from the Queen Victoria Markets
- Learn about the sustainability measures hiding within the city
Markets Tour Overview
Spot local wildlife and learn how their survival is challenged by the ever-changing urban landscape. Conduct tests to diagnose the health of our ecosystem. Finish your tour on a serene urban garden as you get up close and personal to birds, ducks, plants at one of Melbourne’s highest points.
Melbourne Eco Adventure Tour Full Description
After meeting your guide (look for the blue umbrella!) and group at the Gordon Reserve, get together for an introduction and begin to take a journey through millions of years of history.
Start by hopping on one of Melbourne’s iconic trams toward toward the Queen Victoria Markets, where your guide will take you on a guided shopping trip. Once we’re stocked up, we’ll make our way to a beautiful urban garden.Continue Reading...
Learn about Melbourne’s sustainability projects
Meet stall-owners at the Queen Victoria Markets
Make the perfect picnic with help from your guide
What To Bring on Your Boating Picnic Eco Tour
- Warm/Weather Appropriate Clothing: Melbourne is the city of four seasons in one day, after all, so it’s important at all times of year to have a jacket if it suddenly falls cold (which is almost a guarantee for 3pm tours outside of summer!). In any case, make sure to check the forecast for the full day’s weather and bring clothing accordingly.
- Your Camera: If you’d like to take photos and make memories all over our amazing city – which we highly recommend!
- Water – It would be a good idea to bring a water bottle with you on the tour, especially on warmer days. There will be a place to fill it up near our start point, too.
- Comfortable Shoes/Clothing: It’s called a walking tour for a reason! Make sure you wear comfortable clothing and shoes, in preparation to be on your feet for a few hours as we weave our way through the city and parks.
- Sun Protection: Our Australian sun is VERY strong, and walking around the city for 2-3 hours will definitely expose you to some sun. We recommend putting on sunscreen and bringing sunglasses and a hat to stay protected and comfortable.
- Money: Markets vendors take cash or card — get as much or little as you like
Your tour begins at Gordon Reserve (74-108 Spring St) – this is a park with a fountain and is located between the Parliament and Old Treasury Buildings.
“John has a unique perspective and was able to share all kinds of details we were curious about.”Josh
“I got an insider scoop on all the ways Melbourne is becoming a more sustainable city.”Mary
“The best thing was that we became tour guides in our backyard of Melbourne.”Oscar
“We all (including our 4-year-old) loved the close-up encounters with ducks, birds, flowers, plants and turtles!”Karen
“Punting on the lake in the sunshine and learning about the lake and the wildlife there was great!”Claire
Melbourne Eco-Adventure Urban Wilderness Tour FAQs
The tour ends with a serene picnic in Flagstaff Gardens
The tour includes 3 hours with a guide exploring Melbourne’s urban wilderness and learning what it takes to maintain it, light food samples from the markets, and a punt boat ride on the lake.
Of course – we encourage it! They will however need to wear a life jacket on the boat ride for safety.
Your guide will choose a selection of indicative foods at the market to sample — if you would like heartier portions or additional food, you’re welcome to purchase food at the markets at your expense.
Other Melbourne Tours
Uncover Hidden Laneway Bars
Visit Melbourne’s legendary laneway bars with a guide who will show you all the tips and tricks for finding the best drinks in town.
Melbourne Free Walking Tour
Join our tour guides for a walk through Australia’s culture capital and learn what makes this city great and so much more.